Thursday, May 26, 2016

Voices In The Sky

Kirk Carter@ Chew Bear Productions@ Copyright 2016



VOICES FROM THE SKY



Being a curator of Kites, I've really had my share;
The bigger the better, or so I thought, what it cost I didn't care.
So, in New Orleans on the Lakefront, the place was packed and thick;
All along the sea wall steps, only a few places left to pick!

I backed my van in to one last slot, the Marina was right there;
Could I fly this new 8 foot Kite...who knows, I was really up to the dare!
So, I began to assemble the Monster, took three guys to put it together;
The wind was coming from the south, couldn't ask for better weather...

Did I mention this Kite had speakers, JBL 12's on each side;
The Delta Kite was rainbow colored and bright...and boy was it wide!
And instead of rope as guy line, 16 gauge Monster cable in it's place;
Two hundred watts from a Fender head, turned head's from every face.

The launch out took only seconds, as it glide out over the water;
It took control immediately, didn't need any pull or starter...
As the 500 foot roll unspooled, tension tight, a 300 pound pull weight;
It was simply beautiful to watch, as other Kite's tried to mate.

As I reached the end of the spool, reached over and cranked up the amp;
Rolled up a Doobie, cracked a Bud, it was here we would make our camp!
"Stairway To Heaven" seemed appropriate, as it was jamming loud from above;
Everybody was looking and dancing, really showing some Love...

When suddenly a stunning Catalina Sailboat, with a length of 42;
Came out of the Marina, with a big tall mast, and a humongous sail of blue.
And before I had a chance to respond, it quickly caught my cable;
I fought to pull it over the mast, but I simply was not able.

In seconds the tension torqued, between the boat and my van;
Trying to do something creative, trying to devise a plan.
The Kite didn't give, as his mast fell down, the Owner started making an awful sound;
As his beautiful Schooner went off course, hit some rocks, and went aground!

Figuring I better cut my losses, with snips I cut the cord;
Piled into the van, as the Cops were coming, said a quick prayer to the Lord;
Did a nice long burn out oh so pretty, tweaking my Turbo Drive;
Had to ditch this party early, just trying to stay alive!

Well, the Cops never caught us, they say my Kite hit the water and sank;
The boat owner accused me of scheming an awful prank.
Obviously I didn't...a freak accident, that happened on the fly;
But, they'll always remember that day...when they heard The Voices In The Sky!



Image result for huge delta kite


                         Kirk Carter
                      5/16/2016  

No comments:

Post a Comment